Easy Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 large ribs celery, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups water or low-sodium broth
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice from 1/2 large lemon
- Olive oil, yogurt, or other topping, to serve
- In a medium (2- to 3-quart) saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrot, celery, onion, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stir to combine, then cover and let the vegetables sweat until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, water or broth, and bay leaf. Bring up to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and let simmer, covered, until the lentils begin to fall apart, about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the lemon juice, and add salt to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve. Leftovers will keep refrigerated for 5 days.