Ease Back-To-School Anxiety
The transition from summer to the start of the school year can be stressful for children. Below are 5 tips that can help ease their back-to-school anxiety:
- A week or two before school, start preparing children for their school routine by setting a realistic bedtime and selecting their clothes for the next day.
- Arrange play dates with familiar peers before school starts. The presence of a familiar peer during school transitions can improve children’s academic and emotional adjustment.
- Visit their school & classroom before school starts. Familiarize them with pick up & drop off locations, and have the child practice walk to their various classrooms.
- Come up with a reward system that the child could earn for separating from mom or dad to attend school.
- Validate the child’s worry by acknowledging that, like any new activity, starting school can be hard, but soon becomes easy and fun.