Grilled Vegetable Skewers With Pesto Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Pesto (recipe below)
- Juice of 1 lemon
Vegetables (use whatever mix you can get your hands on; these are just suggestions):
- 1/2 pound okra, stem ends removed (OR, substitute with 8 ounces mushrooms)
- 2 bell peppers (any color), cored, seeded, and cut into 2-inch wedges
- 1 red onion, cut into 2-inch wedges
- 6 small summer squash (like yellow or zucchini), cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the Vinaigrette: Whisk together the olive oil, pesto and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Get a hot fire going in a charcoal grill, and let the coals burn to gray ash with a slight red glow. (If you’re using a gas grill, heat the grill on medium.)
- Soak your wooden skewers in water while prepping the vegetables.
- Skewer the vegetables, alternating them for varied flavor and color.
- Brush the skewers with the vinaigrette, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the skewers on the grill, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until the vegetables are slightly charred but still crisp-tender. Serve warm with the remaining vinaigrette on the side.
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add 1/2 cup of the oil, and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add all the remaining oil, and pulse until smooth. Mix in the cheese.