The Benefits Of Strength Training
Implementing a strength training routine can be very beneficial. It doesn’t matter if you have been exercising for a while or are just starting out; strength training will help you reach your fitness goals and make daily tasks easier.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends adults complete strength training exercises for all major muscle groups at least two times a week.
Strength training can be done at home or at the gym. It can be done using body weight, resistance bands, free weights or weight machines. Individuals can even use water bottles or soup cans if any of the aforementioned weight/resistance options are not readily available.
Some benefits of strength training are as follows:
- Makes daily tasks easier (carrying groceries or yard work)
- Helps to avoid injury
- Strengthens bones (especially important for women to avoid osteoporosis and osteoarthritis)
- Helps break through a weight loss plateau
- Improves coordination and balance
- Increases self-confidence and self-esteem
- Increases muscular strength and endurance
- Raises metabolism