National Influenza Week
December 2nd – 8th is National Influenza Week and the CDC suggests the following actions to fight the flu this year:
Get your yearly flu vaccine. The flu vaccination is the first and most important step in protecting yourself against the flu virus. It can reduce flu illnesses, doctors’ visits, missed work and school, as well as prevent flu-related hospitalizations.
Stop the spread of germs.
• Avoid contact with sick people and limit contact with others when you are sick.
• Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze
• Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand rub.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
• Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs like the flu.
Take your meds. Antiviral drugs can be used when you get the flu and can make your illness milder, shorten the time you are sick and can prevent serious flu complications.