How Your Environment Impacts Your Health
The environment that you surround yourself with can be the difference in achieving a desired health status. It goes well beyond the air you breathe and where you live. There are a lot of determining factors that may influence your behaviors in a positive or negative way. If you are looking to change your behaviors, you may want to change the environment around you to make it a more positive one. Here are a couple of things to be mindful of:
- What type of people do you surround yourself with? If you want to achieve a goal, it helps to be around individuals that have similar ones. You can gain a lot of knowledge from people who are on the same path, and they provide a support system where you can share the obstacles you are experiencing. On the other hand, if you are around people that reinforce the habits you want to break, it will be that much harder to achieve.
- How do you feel when you are at home? When you go home, it should provide an environment for relaxation. This can be affected by cleanliness, organization, and anything else that could potentially stress you out. Of course, this will never be perfect, but try to not let it get out of control where it seems like an insurmountable task.
- What are your habits at work? We spend most of our waking hours at work, so it is important to have or make an environment that is conducive to being healthy. Here are some things to think about:
- Is your desk clean and organized?
- Are the people you socialize with positive or negative?
- If your work doesn’t have healthy food options, do you bring in a healthy lunch or snacks?
- How often are you getting up and moving?
No environment will be perfect, but if you can make some adjustments, it will make your journey toward health that much easier and enjoyable!