Vegetable Chili Boats
- 2 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup Fresh onion, peeled, diced
- 1/2 cup Fresh green bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 1/2 cup Canned low-sodium pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup Canned low-sodium kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup Canned low-sodium black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/3 cups Canned low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1/4 cup Canned low-sodium tomato paste
- 18 Low-sodium tortilla chips (about 3 oz) -Optional
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (1 oz)
- 1/4 cup Low-fat mozzarella cheese, low moisture, part skim, shredded (1 oz)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and green peppers. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add beans and stir to coat. Add chili powder. Stir. Cook for 1 minute for flavors to blend.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Add tomato paste and mix well. Cook uncovered for an additional 10 minutes. Bring to a rolling boil for at least 15 seconds. Reduce heat to low and simmer to keep warm.
- Combine cheddar and mozzarella cheeses (the cheese is a garnish).
- Place ¾ cup chili in a bowl. Top with 3 chips and sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon of cheese blend. Serve hot.