Simple Self-Care Tips
With the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives, it's easy to put self-care on the back burner. But mental illnesses or mental health challenges don't take a break, and neither should your well-being.
- Keep up with small acts of daily self-care - brush your teeth, take vitamins, make your bed. It's easy to let these little routines "slip". But even starting your day with these small tasks can help you feel more productive.
- Just breathe! Take a moment to yourself and concentrate on your breathing - feel the slow rise as the breath comes in and the gentle puff as you exhale.
- Understand that it's ok to not be ok. It's not realistic to be happy all day, everyday.
- Try not to let negativity get to you. Every time you think of something negative, remind yourself to write one good thing that has happened that day.
- Create a gratitude journal. Reflect back on the happy times. Try going out of your way to be kind to someone then write about how that made you feel.
- Sleep and water. Try going to bed around the same time each night and be sure to get at least 7-8 hours. Make it a habit to drink more water - try adding fruits to help you enjoy drinking more water. If you struggle to drink enough, try sparkling water!
- Try incorporating physical activity into your daily routine. It could be something as small as going for a walk or cleaning the house.