Ways To Show Gratitude This Holiday Season
Rather than purchasing gifts for everyone, consider a unique approach that will have an equal impact, if not more. Here are some creative ways to show gratitude this holiday season:
- Open the door for someone. Focus on the simple things like holding doors for shoppers at the grocery store, at the mall when you're picking up gifts, or at a restaurant after your meal. It sounds like a small gesture, but it will surprise quite a few people and give them something to smile about.
- A simple gesture. You can verbally acknowledge someone or write them a letter, make creative holiday cards or craft a simple message on a sticky note to leave on your co-worker's desks. Never underestimate the power of a handwritten note!
- Make something yummy. Everyone loves a holiday treat. You can even make these tasty treats into gifts by packaging them in holiday bags or tins.
- Pay it forward. The holidays can be a difficult time for some people. Do something for a stranger, and pay it forward. You can buy someone coffee while in line at Starbuck's, purchase a hot meal for the homeless person you see on your way to work or simply tell your office building janitor that you appreciate all that they do. You'll spread kindness and ignite a positive chain reaction.
- Give an anonymous donation. Whether you donate your time or money - find a cause you really care about and something you are passionate about. Research specific organizations centered around diseases, social issues and other charitable causes. You can even go to a local church and adopt a family for the holidays, which would entail buying gifts for those in need.
There are lots of options when it comes to giving thanks, and it's important to remember that it's the thought that counts. Sometimes the simplest gestures are the most meaningful.