Soothing Ways To De-Stress At Your Desk
Here are some ways to chill out at your desk when you're feeling stressed:
- Grab your headphones. Cue up some calming music, sounds from the beach or classical music.
- Put your computer on sleep mode. If you're unable to see the emails piling up, it's a lot easier to disconnect for a few minutes and bring your anxiety levels back down to earth.
- Simply look away from your screen. Close your eyes or swivel your chair away from your desk momentarily - whatever you need to do to allow yourself to come back to a calmer state.
- Breathe like you're in yoga class. Inhale deeply for four counts and exhale slowly for another four counts. Then repeat until you feel your body relax.
- Get up and out of your chair. Take a 10-minute walk, preferably outside.
- Talk to a friend. Briefly touching base with your personal life puts work-related stress in perspective.
- De-clutter your desk. Clearing your workspace creates both literal and mental space.
- Get your heart pumping. Find somewhere discreet (like the stairwell) to do jumping jacks, climb the stairs, or some other form of quick exercise.
- Make a post-work plan. Whether it's a trip to the gym or a happy hour cocktail, give yourself something to look forward to.